#30- Playbill Magazine

 This blog post will be the start of the investigation into the magazine part of the portfolio. This process will help me learn more about magazines in the relation to musical theatre. Through the research I can look at several real world examples and eliminate and pick ideas that I like and would be put together to make a good magazine. 

Firstly, I'm investigating Playbill Magazine. 


Playbill magazines are used to promote broadway and off-broadway shows. The online website features articles and news about the musical theatre world and its stage productions. The print options above feature the title and a cover picture of the theatre show. If I was creating a Playbill magazine for the my magazine I would choose the cover of the documentary as if it was a broadway show. The title of the magazine would change a little bit, but the subtext would state something else. The title would state "Playbill Article" would state "featuring the musical theatre star from the documentary "The Upcoming of a Theatre Kid." 

However, in physical copies of the playbill don't include any images or articles. They include the main title of the production, subtitle, current date, future or pass date of performances, the cast and characters, setting descriptions, summaries of scenes and where tickets can be bought. This is not what I would use for my magazine. I want to add more photos of Elliana and information about her. 



An idea I like from this is the cover of the Playbills, being one full picture. This picture is usually the cover picture for the performance. In my magazine I will use the documentary's cover photo/poster. I can base the title of the magazine on the Playbill title. Use the yellow block and same font type for the text. I can play off the title of Playbill, however, I don't completely like the idea of taking a specific magazine title and slightly changing it. With the exploration into different magazine companies I can decided what to title the magazine and what to put inside of it. 


Comments

Popular Posts