#24- My Interview VS. The Inspo

 For my documentary it was important that I had interviews to give intel about my topic to my audience. The interviews I got heavy inspiration from are the ones I looked into on the American Theatre Wing Youtube channel. My debrief of the interviews is in blog post #11. 

 For my first interview I got the camera shot inspiration from the interview with Thelma Pollard. This interview took place in a makeup closet and has two camera angles. One forward facing mid-shot and the other a side angles close up. The locations gave more of a tone to the interview, the setting set up more context about the lady being interviews since she does makeup design. The close up will always show the facial expressions and appeals to emotions. The emotions expressed on the face of the interviewee created more of a tone for the interview. 

 I added a location card to create setting. The card just says "Hudson, Florida" and that is because that is where she lived before college. The answers on her upcoming and why she chose the University of Tampa makes sense for an interview set in her hometown. 


 Here is the opening shots to the interview. I added a name card like the inspiration. Instead of putting "college student" or "theatre kid," I just put the date of the interview. This is because those aren't job roles and the entire documentary is about her, so they'll know all about her I don't need to put a "job role." The placement of the subject in the interview was meaningful. The rule of thirds was put to work in the interview. They placed Thelma Pollard in the right third of the frame. This opens up the background more showing the setting off. A lot of people also think it would be unappealing for the interviewee to be in the center of the frame. So, for my interview I used the rule of thirds. I placed Elliana in the left third of the frame for the same reasons they placed Thelma Pollard the way they did. There wasn't much of a setting for mine because the room didn't have any context to her. When we film the second interview we will incorporate the setting a lot more into the interview. 


The close up was very inspired by the interview. I have been told, and have researched into interviews, that a second camera angle is very important for interviews. So, I thought it was important to use this aspect in my interview. The reasons for this was for more variety to the interview, so it's not just one boring unaesthetic angle for the entire interview. The main reason is to show the facial expressions to create emotional understanding and focus on the subject. The audience will have a better emotional understanding of the tone due to the focus on Elliana's facial expressions. 

Now that I broke this down I can use the aspects for the second interview as well. I also will use inspiration from the other interview in blog post #11 to help film the second interview. 

In my next blog post I'll go over my tentative plan for the future filming for my documentary. 



Comments

Popular Posts