#5- Motto Pictures

Motto Pictures is a privately held small documentary production company based in Brooklyn, New York that was founded in 2009 by Julie Goldman and Christopher Clements. Their production company specializes in producing documentary features and has produced many already that have won numerous awards.


Motto's Team:

Motto Pictures has its two main producers, the ones who founded the production company. Julie Goldman is a very successful documentary producer having been nominated for an Oscar and winning an Emmy Award. She has produced many documentaries in her time, and still to this day, and is the first to receive the Amazon Studios Sundance Institute Producer's Award and the Cinereach Producer's Award. The other main producer is Christopher Clements, who partners with Motto Pictures along side Goldman. He has won an Emmy and Peabody Award. 

They have a couple other producers that work for the company. Those being J. Daniel Torres and Samantha Bloom. As well as Kendall Marianacci who is an executive producer and documentary filmmaker. The companies creative assistant is Hannah Finamore-Rossler. They all are credible for the company and play very important roles in the Motto Pictures production company.


Motto's Projects:

This production company has produced many documentary films in it's time. On their website they have seven recent projects highlighted for their audience. These films feature:

- The Eternal Memory (Streamed on Paramount + and won 2023 Sundance Grand Jury Prize)

- Victim/Suspect (Streamed on Netflix)

- Cassandro (Available on Amazon Prime)

- In the Same Breath (Streamed on Max and won 2022 Peabody Award)

- The Return of Tanya Tucker featuring Brandi Carlile (Streamed on Netflix and won 2022 SXSW Audience Award)

- A Thousand Cuts (Available on Amazon Prime and won 2022 Peabody Award)

- American Pain (Streamed on Max)

It is shown through these seven recent documentary films/series that Motto Pictures in a successful production company. They have all of these on some big streaming site, which include Amazon Prime, Netflix and Max. They are reaching wide audiences by being featured on them. Their work has even won different awards such as the Peabody Award, Sundance Grand Jury Prize and SXSW Audience Award. Many other projects they produced have won more awards. All of this hard work and recognition has built the company.

Social Media Presence:

Motto Pictures has an Instagram, Twitter and Facebook that re all linked on their website. I specifically looked at their Instagram account because that is one of the part of our portfolio for this course. 


Their Instagram account is well made and managed. The account holders keep the post updated and post on the story frequently. The account features many story highlights each for a specific recent documentary that has been produced. The account also features many post, pictures and videos. The pictures are usually stills or cover pictures from their media. The videos include trailers for their projects (featured on the bottom left post in picture) and previews for projects (featured on the bottom right post in picture). I would say this company has a well developed presence on social media that helps it reach larger audiences.

I would their website and that is where all my information is coming from: https://www.mottopictures.com/mottopictures-about 

Researching and learning about Motto Pictures production company will further my portfolio/EOC project. There are quite a few documentary production companies and I'm sure they are similar. However, I feel Motto Pictures has and is doing an excellent job at interacting with audience and their work. It is shown with how many documentaries they have produced and the awards they have won. They have a small but influential team and a great social media presence. 

The more important part of my research that has stood out to me would be the Instagram account. I will be making an Instagram account as part of my portfolio where I will reach a wider audience and promote my project. It is important that I post stills, cover pictures, trailers and previews like Motto Pictures to engage my audience. On social media they are able to share what they see which will build a wider audience for my project. 

My next steps will be influenced by they distribution of Motto Pictures projects. For the next steps of my project after filmed and ready to be distributed I would want to send it to streaming sites and see which will show my documentary. I feel like I would most likely want my documentary shown on Netflix, this is because it has been around for awhile and has a lot of subscribers. 


In my next blog post I will answer the question of: Do documentaries have genres? I will apply what I find to my research towards documentaries and decide if I can put my project under a genre.

Comments

Popular Posts